A regular roof inspection to prevent big problems is a great idea, but one that most people don’t think about. Heritage Roofing, your local roofing contractor in Prescott, would like to suggest taking a look at your roof. While you’re up on the ladder putting up or taking down those holiday lights, this might be a good time to do a quick inspection yourself.
Here are just some of the things you should look for:
- Cracked caulk or rust spots on flashing.
- Shingles that are buckling, curling, or blistering.
- Missing or broken shingles.
- Cracked and worn rubber boots around vent pipes.
- Missing or damaged chimney cap. (OK, that’s technically not part of your roof, but since you’re looking anyway.)
- Masses of moss and lichen, which could signal the roof is decaying underneath. Black algae stains are just cosmetic.
- Piles of colored grit from asphalt roof tiles in the gutters, is also a bad sign — those sand-like granules cover the surface of roof shingles and shield them from the sun’s damaging ultraviolet rays.
Some other early signs of trouble include:
- Dark areas on ceilings.
- Peeling paint on the underside of roof overhangs.
- Damp spots alongside fireplaces.
- Water stains on pipes venting the water heater or furnace.
If you find worrisome signs, especially if the roof is old or there’s been a storm with heavy wind or hail, get a professional assessment. Heritage Roofing offers a free evaluation and estimate. If you need a local Prescott roofing contractor, please give us a call at 928-910-2765 and we will have one of our licensed, bonded technicians provide you with an estimate.